Got an interesting comment from a Filipino man on the docu-series:
“I’m an Asian Latino from the Philippines because of my Hispanic ancestry and heritage. Saludos Latinoafricanos. Viva La Hispanidad!!!”
So do Filipinos consider themselves Latino?
A little history:
The Philipines was colonized by three countries, namely:
- Spain for 333 years
- United Sates of America
Filipino and English are the official languages.
Spanish was the original official language of the country for more than three centuries.
According to Ethnologue, a total of 171 native languages are spoken in the country. There are 13 indigenous languages with at least one million native speakers: Tagalog, Cebuano, Ilokano, Hiligaynon, Waray-Waray, Kapampangan, Bikol, Albay Bikol, Pangasinan, Maranao, Maguindanao, Kinaray-a, and Tausug. One or more of these is spoken natively by more than 90% of the population.
- rasdivine reblogged this from negrodocumentary
- drea-gigi likes this
- quelinda-anijinha reblogged this from negrodocumentary
- thelostarchibald answered: ASIAN LATINO?wats that, I’m Filipino with Hispanic dysentery but i don’t call myself that, ppol sometimes say i look half white but im NOT.=)
- leigh204 answered: I’m a Filipina, and the Filipinos I do know do NOT consider themselves Latino.
- charli-mcda reblogged this from metropolitanmanila
- dorkydebutante answered: My Latino friends always joke that Filipinos are the Mexicans of the East. A lot of our history supports this joke, but we’re not Latino lol
- dorkydebutante reblogged this from metropolitanmanila and added:
- itsvanna answered: obese-starving-artist.t…
- obese-starving-artist reblogged this from negrodocumentary and added:
- quelinda-anijinha likes this
- hezoo answered: I am 1/2 Filipino and have many Filipino friends and family. I have never heard anyone (until this post) refer to Filipinos as “Asian Latino”
- amazelife reblogged this from negrodocumentary
- earelephantthings likes this
- angellov8 reblogged this from negrodocumentary and added:
- obese-starving-artist answered: We aren’t Latino. Technically we are Hispanic because of our history of colonization. But not all Pinoys claim that part of our heritage.
- bangtheeblazn likes this
- metropolitanmanila reblogged this from negrodocumentary
- thisisriality reblogged this from stopwhitewashing
- peaceloveandafropuffs reblogged this from stopwhitewashing and added:
- 69flowers likes this
- ablueberrynight likes this
- stopwhitewashing reblogged this from alostbird
- empoweredafrolatina reblogged this from negrodocumentary
- cuntfuckah likes this
- luckythinks91 likes this
- alostbird reblogged this from negrodocumentary
- alostbird likes this
- negrodocumentary posted this